A World in HDR

One of those old habits that lucky don’t die. I can’t go to bed without reading a bit of something. No matter how tired I am. So another book “review”.

A World in HDR - Trey Ratcliff

A World in HDR – Trey Ratcliff

A World in HDR by Trey Ratcliff. No news I love HDR and would love to know how to do it right. My hope is that someday I’ll have enough time to try it and try it until I learn. And that’s basically the approach Trey takes to teach HDR.

I confess that when I first got this book I was expecting recipes on how to make Protomatix spit all those beautiful images that Trey posts on Google+ every day! It’s exactly the opposite! The book has a very brief discussion on the software itself, according to Trey (imagine his deep voice now) every image is different, so there’s no way to have a standard process, or a template. Also his point is that Photomatix doesn’t to 100% of the job, you should try to get 70% of the image right and do the other 30% in Photoshop, blending the original images back in.

In addition to a small discussion on the software side of processing, the book mostly shows a series of amazing images, sort of split into some thematic, and the story of each one. Yep, where was it, when, how, why … and comments on the peculiarities, like “I wanted to highlight the colors of the flowers, this way …”.

Basically the book it gives you what to expect as outcome of a given scene, while the technique behind is not so important and can be achieved in several different way. The book has the same quality of Trey’s wonderful images. Totally worth reading.

Advertisements

About Cris Da Rocha

Astrophysicist, DB manager, cyclist, musician and, why not, "photographer to be". Back to enjoy photography after many years ... it's cool. Might share something nice and get something new.
This entry was posted in Photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to A World in HDR

  1. Pingback: HDR Photography Secrets for Digital Photographers | Photo and Coffee

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s